Monday 13 August 2007

The Ex-Factor

There's a reason why it's called ex. If you look at the dictionary, ex means after the fact, and its synonyms can be varied from done afterward, late, subsequent, to postliminary. But they all mean the same, they are all in the past. It's after, it's post! It shouldn't be wandering around in the street and messing your present, should it?

When I imagine myself seeing him again,...wait, I never imagined seeing him again, because I don't want to, and there will be no meeting, not now, not tomorrow, try, not ever! Everything should be just left buried in the past! In the past, okay! That is why he's an ex! Ex-whatever.

But one scenario I would never have pictured in my mind, was meeting him in the fucking train station! Yes, I bumped into him in the fucking train station! Somebody please shoot me!

If only! If only I saw him first! If only I caught him on the corner of my eyes! If only I...I...! I WOULD HAVE HID! I WOULD HAVE RAN! I would have...done something, anything! Yes, I was that much of a coward.

Was it some kind of joke that I was in the elevator on this side, and he was in the elevator on the opposite side, and we got to the ground at the same time?!!!! I looked at him and he looked at me, and there was no escape! No fire stairs! No trees or bodies I could hide myself behind! Not even a freaking wall! There was nothing between us, just vast empty area mocking me!

And so I smiled. And so I came up to him and we hugged. And so we muttered 'how are you' and so we walked out together. And so he asked the most dreaded questions, "Do you still even have my number in your phone? Why didn't you ever call me? If I texted you, would you have replied?" Yes, OF COURSE he had to ask those questions. And up until that second, I WAS PRETTY MUCH READY TO FORGET EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED WITH HIM! I HAD A PEACE WITH MYSELF NOT TO FEEL GUILTY, TO THINK THAT HE WAS OUT SOMEWHERE, HAVING A NICE LIFE AND FORGETTING ME, I WAS REALLY REALLY READY TO CLOSE THAT CHAPTER AND OF COURSE, NOW I HAD TO BE BOMBARDED BY THE PAST ALL OVER AGAIN. AND OF COURSE I HAD TO GIVE HIM ANSWERS, I HAD TO EXPLAIN MYSELF WHY I DID WHAT I DID, AND WHY I WASN'T BEING FAIR TO HIM.

See what I'm saying before? He is the past, and past means past! Behind! Forgotten! Time to move on! The past shouldn't be asking questions to you in present! The past shouldn't smile at you, hug you and ask you to catch up! No, it shouldn't!

I thought I will never see him again, and tada! Singapore has be too small for two awkward individuals! They just had to meet, didn't they?! There just aren't any space left, are there?!

Long story short, we talked. No, more like, he asked, and I looked at him hopelessly. Distracting him and asking him unimportant questions (where do you stay now? Oh, where are you going now? How are you getting along in Singapore? Do you still bring maps anywhere? How's work?) You know, just to divert his attention from the dreaded topic! But by the time we got out from the station, I couldn't think of any other craps to say, so then he asked.

And I think I did pretty well, gracefully, at least! I don't know! What did I say to him?! I couldn't remember! I remember him saying 'as long as you're not married and having kids, and as long as I'm not married and having kids, why should you feel bad about it?' or something like that. THIS ISN'T JUST ABOUT ME BEING SINGLE AND YOU BEING SINGLE SO LET'S JUST HOOK UP AND HOLD HANDS!

Finally, we departed, and he said we should catch up sometime, and soon after, he sent me a text message and right there and then I knew. That he's slowly becoming a present again. And I'm not sure I like that very much.

I know, I know, he can't make me do things I don't want to do, and so if I don't wanna meet him again, then don't. Easy, right? Well technically it is, but sometimes I'm way too nice for things like this! And that is why everything was slowly getting better cos I've managed to forget about why I left him and I didn't really think much about feeling guilty or bad anymore. But now that he's here I don't know if I can do that again. Now I feel like I owe him something. And I don't want to feel like that!

It's funny because just a few days ago, babe and I talked about this and she even speculated that maybe he's not even in Singapore anymore. Yeah, so much for that hope! Oh, he is still in Singapore, alive and kicking. Looking exactly the same. The accent was still the same. I used to love that accent, and now I just feel nothing. I felt a pang of relief that at least I was looking good yesterday! I mean, I wasn't wearing shorts and slipper or whatever. At least.

He said, "When I imagine meeting you again, I wouldn't be wearing this. I would be wearing something nice..", truth is, he was wearing a shirt, okay! With collars! How nice can a shirt be?!

Today he hasn't texted me, will it be too much to ask, too much of an impossible expectation, that he may not look for me again?!!! That he, too, decided everything should just be left behind?

1 comment:

cotton candy said...

was browsing around when i found your blog and read your latest post. you write really well and ah...a love life! ^^ lucky girl. and im so proud of you, you didn't stutter of stumble upon your words. if it was me..i'd fall flat on my face and make a fool of myself...eek. ><" lol.