Wednesday 25 June 2008

The past is still a part of you


Good day, all! I would like to start this entry by posting a nice picture that has been rotten in the corner of my old space on MSN. I love this picture, though, we looked so free and spontaneous (well, hardly, considering we had to count one, two, three, jump! to get the perfect shot) but..oh geez, I love it, leave it at that!

In the spirit of old picture, then, let's make this entry about that.

Three years ago, when I first came to Singapore, my sister and I stayed in a three-bedroom HDB flat in Clementi. It was different, to finally live on my own without the luxury of maids. We shared the flat with two of my sister's friends, S and J, both Malaysians. I can't recall much about them, they were busy people and the only time we really got together was this one night we all played mahjong until morning.

After series of 'skimping so we slept without air-con every night', 'the laundry's pole falling down', and 'the bathroom's door that got stuck everytime', we moved out after one year and ended up....here. You know, they say every kid's first car was always awful, and that way parents taught them to work hard and appreciate better things next time? Yep, it's something like that. Now that I'm in Mayfair,...well, hello!!

Time sure flies, and now another two years have passed. Things changed, new friendships are found. Even an old friend said I looked really different now.

But of course change is bound to happen, right? We move on, we go through phrases.

Like, I hardly see Irene, my best friend for two years, and we're still in the same island! We still talk and we make time to see each other occasionally, but it's just different, you know. Having said that, who knows about the future?

Sis and I were talking one day, and suddenly she said, "Sis, you know, things might be really different some few years down the road..We probably won't even live here anymore."

"Yeah..All's possible..You will be a successful consultant, travelling around, and the only time you will have time for you dearest little sister is between flights!" I joked back.

"Who knows? I might be in some hotel room somewhere and I'll see you on TV...I don't know..Being a presenter or news anchor, or something..."

Right. What's holding us back, right? The prospect is scary and thrilling at the same time.


But it got me thinking. Sis, I know we had our share of differences, we had our moments of frustration towards each other. But no matter how greasy my face looked some years ago, and no matter where we lived in the past, you're there. I didn't mean to write this post about you, but somehow throughout writing it, I remembered our conversation, and okay, you may be right, we might not be in near proximity to each other anymore, and there's a part of me who wants to see how it feels like for I know we're both determined to do something more than just...leading a working life.

I don't know about that yet, but our lives will always be intertwined, and I'd like to think that it's more than just because we're sisters. I hope despite our differences, we are still good friends above everything else.

GOSH! Can you believe how funny we looked back then?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GYAAAAAHHHH..!!! WHY IN ANYONE'S SANE, HEALTHY MIND WOULD YOU POST THOSE PICTURES?!?!?! If nothing makes me doubt the longlastingness of our unique relationship, THIS WILL!!!

The second sentence was a joke, of course, but SERIOUSLY SIS, I LOOKED WASTED IN THE SECOND PIC!!!

Anonymous said...

You totally missed the point there sis! In case you didn't notice, my face looked as greasy and oily as frying pan (right after you put oil on it), you could milk it out off me!

Despite all that, (until our fabulous state now) we're still together hahaha!