Monday 23 June 2008

Reason why you should just trust yourself

I learnt something today. In the end, when you present something, whether it's a school work, exam or job responsibility, it's all you on the line, not anyone else, and you alone are the one judged for it.

I learnt that I'm the only one I can count on, really. And whether it takes time to trust someone else, the bottom line is, I believe in myself. In certain cases, we might not even have time for the process of trusting others and when it comes down to the important thing, why should we wait?

This is why I've always been skeptical when we're doing group assignments. Of course, I have people I've worked with that were undoubtingly responsible, smart and hardworking as well. The problem is, they don't come by that often.

I've always wanted to have full hands-on even when the tasks were divided, at the end of the day I would want to run by everything and so far it has worked. If we were writing essays, I tried to make sure everyone sent their final drafts to me so I could make last changes and complete everything. You won't believe how some people can't even do such simple thing like making their documents look only decent (problems with font, margins, unorderly and messy arrangements, etc.)

Well, today reminded myself as why I have always had enough reasons to be like this. It's not like I don't trust people, but a lot of times they let you down, and I learn to trust myself more. I won't let myself down and I know best what's good and bad, at least according to my own standard. And I'd like to think that my standard is at least decent.

For this particular subject, the materials were simply too much that some friends and I decided to divide the work among us, and we could just easily exchange notes after we're done with everything so naturally it should have made things a lot easier, right?

Wrong. Because once again, I depended on all the wrong people. And that's the thing. That's the risk that I shouldn't have taken in the first place if there was only a tiny bit of uncertainty that they could very well be unworthy of your trust.

They were just so dissapointing and irresponsible and they drove me mad. It pissed me off!

A week before the exam and you said all this bullshit and I don't even wanna know what your excuse is, I don't wanna listen to any of it.

Fortunately I still have time to do the rest on my own and I should have done it since the beginning. I shouldn't have bothered. Here I thought some people could be trusted.

So, I know better. I have known better and I know even better now. Your best asset is yourself. Rely on it first before you try depending on someone else.

No comments: