Thursday 16 October 2008

Songs that remind me of...

In more cases than one, a song is not just a song. It has an attachment to it, an association. When you face a certain situation, sometimes a particular song will come to mind. Or the other way around; hearing a song when you’re in a certain situation will trigger that memory when you hear the same song again in the future.

Not too sound too cheesy or anything, I love it. I love the fact that with a simple tune you can trigger so much emotions. Okay, well, that might have come out a little too cheesy. Anyway, here are a few,...

Maroon 5 – Makes Me Wonder
I started listening to this song religiously when I was in Perth. I had this song stored up in my MP3 which obviously, is portable and thus, enabled me to listen to it wherever I like. When I was out there, there wasn’t much to do and I had a little too much time on my hands, so I experimented.

With a waxing cream, to be exact. Don’t ask, and before you have whatever ideas (I don’t want to know), it’s for my legs. Now every time I hear this song, I feel like I’m transferred back to that spacey bathroom in a huge house in Leeming, spreading up waxing cream to my legs and waiting for it to work its magic.

Westlife – Obvious
I was in my first year of high school, so that probably makes me…what, 15 or 16 years old. During the time of being obsessed with this song, I was close with a guy. That meaning, we talked everyday and went out often, but nothing was official yet. The lyrics probably reflected on how I was feeling at that period of time. It reminds me of him now everytime the song comes on air.

It reminds me of home, my room, and how I used to just lay there, listen to this song, and giggle on my own just because I was a hormonal adolescence.

Michael Buble – Home
Jes, Drew, wonder if you guys remember this. We were in Jes’ car, we were talking about how we were going to be away for college, each of us taking separate path. This song was on the radio, and we screamed and our eyes were teary. Well, okay, maybe not. But we did scream due to the irony of the song just when we were talking about going away and possibly being homesick.

Look at us now, though. I barely talk to you guys anymore, and if pictures on facebook were any indication, I’d say you two are having much fun over there in the States. ‘I’m lucky, I know, but I wanna go home…..' maybe isn’t as accurate as we initially thought.

Marvin Gaye – Sexual Healing
This one is a lot more recent, actually. I knew I must have heard this song anyway before, but only in this time was I starting to really like it. Again, this song simply reminds me of someone. He used to sing and dance along to this song through webcam. Okay, it sounds silly in words, but it was a good memory.

These things – memories – really are priceless. What’s better is that it’s truly personal.

Anyway, in a totally unrelated topic, Paul Krugman has recently won the Nobel Prize! Been following his blog on New York Times since I had to read his book for the previous politics class. I don’t know about the other candidates, but he surely deserves it.

"We all want power, we all want success, but the ultimate reward is the simple joy of understanding.” Well put. Congrats!

No comments: