Sunday 17 August 2008

The time is [almost] here

This is an important point in our lives, my sister's, my friends', myself included. We are on the edge of making big decisions regarding our future, and whereas my sister is facing it right now, I will soon follow, approximately in six months. The prospect is scary, we are always afraid of the unknown. The possibility that everything is wide open, that for once in our lives we get to choose the path we wish to follow instead of tagging along on the conveyor belt.

Since we were little, we knew where we were supposed to go, there was no need for any questions asked, doubts questioned, or decisions made, for that matter. Maybe our decision-making skill has been too rusty that the exact idea of actually practising it in real life is somewhat unnerving.

We may make good choice, or we may not, the thing is, we won't find that out for some time. Actions have to be made first, before anyone can point it to be a mistake. The thing is, when it comes to finding the 'right' jobs, what's the measurement?

I guess, I'm just scared that my job would define me. And as we go along, we keep telling ourselves that we mean more than just our work, that we have social lives and other activities, even though we find ourselves having conference calls on a Sunday morning, or in sudden shortage of friends because we can't seem to catch up.

“I hate my job,” a friend told me one time, “but you gotta do what you gotta do.”

In this case, there are plenty more out there represented. I have heard it so many times that now the very idea of 'job' is out there on the same league with 'maggot' and 'faggot'. You can't help but cringe.

That's what we keep hearing, and we don't wanna be like one of them. But perhaps this image is simply overrated.

I had this discussion with my former boss when I decided to quit my last job. I told him that I don't want to have a job which I hate, that I want to go home at 7 o'clock every night and not think about dozens of different things I have to finish at work.

“It's really up to you,” he smiled knowingly, “if you want a five, six-figure salary, then you have to work harder, but know that you will have the upper standard of living, you can afford things that you want, and you can live well comfortably.”

“But, it's really okay if you don't want any of that. If you're satisfied with four-five thousand dollars every month, then you can go home at 7 every night and you can not worry about work on weekends. If you really don't mind with that life, then fine, be content.”

So I guess, it goes both ways. I mean, these people who admit of hating their jobs, would they walk away from it? No. Because when it comes down to it, they hate their jobs the same way as they love their lifestyle as a result of them.

Afterall, words are cheap.

No comments: