Saturday 26 April 2008

Getting There

It is a big deal, right? I know he's trying to understand, but he just can't. And it's impossible to convey all my thoughts across because some things just don't have the words. They lie in the form of understanding and compromises. And I realize too that he has done so much for me, and if there's any compromises anyone should make, it should be from my part. He's been doing all the work and I feel like I'm only taking, not giving yet, and it's unfair, but if I could have done something, I would have, and it's hard for me too - not being able to do anything. But that's how it is and we just have to work with it.

But on the other hand, I don't want to give in too much too soon. This relationship has been moving fast, and I don't want to miss out anything; the little parts. The time for really getting to know and taking it slow. Seems like we've just been scratching the surface and we haven't even seen anything yet, and yet we have made plans ahead of time. It's inevitable to think about the future but I wonder if we should, just yet. But even I have to admit that it is a nice feeling.

I'm wondering, though, whether being so close with someone is bound to make you more more comfortable, or more conscious. Of course, ideally, we ought to be most comfortable with our closest ones. But it takes time, doesn't it? Before then, I guess we just have to try getting there. Because I'm close to someone new, it makes it even more important to impress, to show the best in us, it doesn't necessarily mean that we have to be someone else and not ourselves, do you get what I mean? But there's still a filter, surely?

And maybe the time needed to get there is different for each person. What if one has felt so comfortable with the other and expected the same but the other just hasn't quite gotten there? Should the conscious one compromises and forces herself to be comfortable? Justifying herself that she will get there too anyway eventually, so there really is nothing wrong with doing it a little bit sooner if that means she can please the other party? Or should the comfortable one try to understand the other and not expect anything?

How does the conscious one explain to the comfortable one that she just needs time to get there, and it has nothing to do with not trusting him? And how does the comfortable one get the feeling that by her not feeling quite all comfortable around him yet means that she doesn't trust him? That it basically means he will just question and doubt her feelings altogether?

And is there a time limit, anyway? Is it quite normal to still feel conscious even after some time together? I don't know.

I just know that it doesn't mean that I don't trust him, because I do. In fact, it has nothing to do with him and everything to do with me, because I'm being my usual insecure and worrying kind. And maybe it's a wrong and twisted logic altogether, but I feel more conscious towards him because his opinion matters to me more than anyone else's.

Okay, I'm babbling. I'm just thinking out loud. But in all honesty, I'm really happy and everything is good with him. I obviously have an issue, ha! But this is something, he is something. Everytime we have disagreement, once we cool down we would apologize no matter who's wrong, and we always respect each other's opinion even when we can't quite understand it. I feel good about this whole thing.

I know it probably takes more time for me to finally get there, but there's nothing wrong with that, right? Because I will get there, I know it. With everything that has been going so fast, it's easy to lose yourself but I'm just grateful I have someone who can hold it all together. I hope he knows that from the little things.

No comments: