Tuesday 22 April 2008

Contacts

When I woke up this morning and went to the bathroom to do my daily boring mundane ritual (so boring that I could do these things with my eyes closed), I wasn't prepared to find my prescious contact broken right in the rear. Now, yesterday I swear it was still as perfect as new, so I either scratched it with my non-existent nail when I took it off at night, or....I don't know, I can't think of any other legitimate reason. Sure, I can always say that the lens were simply too old and they would die eventually but that's not 'legitimate', is it?

But I was simply heartbroken. I love that lens! And I didn't have another back-up lens! It was meant to be used for six months, so forgive me for not backing it up just yet. I thought I had another month, at the very least, and this was the first time it ever happened, okay. I do not posses nails (okay, I do, but you know what I mean..Wasn't trying to freak you out there), so the question on how could my lens break on its own remains a mystery. I'll leave that to you to figure out, or if anyone has a groundbreaking revolution, please do amuse me.

So I was speechless for a whole minute. I simply didn't know what to do. I tried putting it on but it hurts, and you shouldn't try that at home. The broken rear could possibly poke (not possibly, it will, trust me) your eyeball and it's not a good feeling, having your eyeball poked. Really. Three seconds of having the broken lens in my eye and I was tearing up. Gosh I loved that lens. I haven't even had a proper chance to say goodbye. So that was a break-up felt like.

Having had that emotional and spiritual connection towards the lens made it even harder to throw it away, but it was just impossible to use, and you could say, 'bloody hell! Such drama queen! You could easily just buy a new one, for goodness sake! There are bigger problems in this world, like threat of starvation, Olympics' boycott, or that Mas Selamat thing! Get over your bloody lens crisis and move on!'

To those who said it, I'd say, 'Fine, can't really deny the whole drama queen remark, but one thing which you were wrong was, I couldn't just easily buy a new one because it's not even available here!'

Ha! These lens were made specifically for me, catered to my individual, unique eye! Okay, probably not. But, but, but, they are Indonesian brand, and their color were just distinguished. One thing I won't argue here, lens here are b-o-r-i-n-g! They only have standard boring colors (blue, green, purple, grey, brown), yeah, yeah, yeah, so what? Back in Indo, however, you could get anywhere from turqouise, to navy blue, to light blue, to tosca (and those are just blue!) Anyway they are just simply fabulous and they fit so comfortably. I have been using contacts ever since I was in middle school, I know, I keep telling myself not to study too much, but you know, what to do.

So, having no other lens to wear and no intention of walking in blind, I had to quickly buy a new one, even when the color might be dull. I had my eyes checked to and it must have taken me at least fifteen minutes if not more. I was certain I was going blind! It was always a little bit nerve-wrecking to try these different lens and still couldn't seem to read the tiny letters, and so the person just kept changing and adding degrees to it and you just wanted to scream, 'just tell me I'm going blind! Spare me the misery!'

But. Apparently I was being a tad melodramatic because I'm not going blind. The person who checked my eyes assured me that! But then again, he might have just wanted to shut me up. Oh well.

So I bought a new pair of dull color lens. I absolutely dislike the color but at least it will get me through the day without wincing and looking like a spastic.

No comments: