Wednesday 16 July 2008

Being an Indonesian doesn't make me incompetent

My job hunting process has been going slow, but I'm not too stressed out about it. I'm enjoying my bumming days far too much than necessary, but it's good to know that at least I'm putting my resume out there, and 24/7 within reach.

But lately it's bothering me to know that being an Indonesian suddenly put me on the back of the list, as if being one makes my brain goes slower, my legs limper and my skills lessen.

Phone calls that I've received from some companies these past few days have proved me right.

"Oh, your resume is good, and you're suitable for the job, but you're Indonesian, and you don't have PR, thus we can't take you..."

Yes! Because not owning a PR would crumble the company and Microsoft Office among other computer programs only works for Singaporeans, right?

And of course, in this media and communication industry, it's so bad to have an accent which doesn't end with the word 'la', I can't possibly relate, right?

I'm sorry, I sound awful. And I'm not mad, not more than just perturbed. But I shall remain optimistic.

...Just a short post to get this off my chest. I'll write more soon :)

No comments: