Wednesday 13 February 2008

the first time I didn't send poor victim to the road of unknown

I was running an errand. Asked to look for a product by my boss at this foreign building. Now if you know me well, or even just know me at all, you would understand that a sense of navigation has been long lost on my internal body. My parents are both excellent in this subject so I wouldn’t dare to even imagine where all those genes went. Maybe to the baby sitter. Shamelessly enough, even in my own neighborhood, it’s not that abnormal to find myself getting lost. A 20-seconds taxi ride to Jurong Stadium which is only 5 minutes away from my apartment is proof enough. But the happiest party around here would be the taxi driver. He couldn’t believe he would finally encounter someone (dumb enough) who would pay him at least his lunch to ‘fart’ his car the distance even a baby would accomplish.

Last week it was a phone card, two days ago it was to enquire a bank’s account number, yesterday it was chicken rice (the list is getting more random by day), and today it was tea leaves from a herbal Chinese shop. The part about the tea wasn’t the one bothering me, to be honest I would buy him a freaking chicken feet if he asks me to. (you can't get more random than that!)

The place, though, is another story. But I’d do it just to get out from the cold office and breathe some fresh air. So equipped with only the faintest idea about this whereabouts of the store, (which is inside this one condo, which is supposed to be right behind this weird building’s name.) I began yet another less-than-average self-performance. What’s worrying is that I had absolutely no clue where this weird-building’s name is, so it’s like a stupid loss trail.
But, I decided not to let my stupid face revealed. Instead, I nodded enthusiastically as if I have been habiting in the condo for the last twenty years of my life. Well, nobody has to know, right? Definitely not the big boss. You, maybe, but not him.

Besides, it should be simple. I mean, how far could this place be? How complicated could this get? What couldn’t an intelligent 21-year-old journalism student do?! Huh? What?! What?! I’d be such a disgrace for failing to do such simple task. And for once, I would not ask and expose my vulnerability, instead I wanted to explore, a word never been once associated with my name. Well, there's always a first time for everything.

To make long story short, I was beyond impressed with myself because I found the building in a breeze. So I got out from the office, counted my shirt button to determine whether I should go to the right or left, which resulted in left, so I did walk to the left blindly without assurance other than a little hope that my buttons had brain. And I mean, it was office complex, so buildings were everywhere, I was walking with my head tilted 45 degrees just to be able to read each building's name.

For once in a long time, I made the right decision, or rather, maybe my buttons did, because not long I spotted the weird-name building, and it was smooth sailing after. That wasn't the highlight of the story, though. Okay, I'm nowhere near Indiana Jones, but maybe I have taken a step towards Nancy Drew.

In the middle of my walk from the office to the train station, where I was mingling around with other adults (me? adult? never!), suddenly a confused looking woman stopped me. Funny she would stop me because I was in the midst of crowds, it's not like it was freaking deserted and I was the only one around. But she just instantly grabbed me and asked in shy polite voice, "Um...do you where this [weird-name-building] is?"

Aha! Yes! Yes! Yes! In fact I did!!!! I do!!!
"Yes. It's on that side, behind there..see? yes, there, turn left there.." the length of my explanation to that poor woman could put philosophers to shame.

But for once! For once I didn't send someone to the wrong direction! For once I actually knew what I was talking about! And the poor woman would safely arrive at the right place to meet her long-distance boyfriend whom she hasn't met for 2 years because of my help, emphasize that! capitalize, bold, italic, underline that last sentence!

Quite an achievement, don't you think, from my usual hopelessness? Not that I'm not hopeless anymore. But maybe I've upgraded a little bit. Ha!

No comments: