Sunday 13 June 2010

Movie Day Sunday & Happiness Project - Day 49-50

Sunday is really a day to relax and unwind. And today I had the most awesome movie marathon with some DVDs I rented from the video store. In the afternoon, I saw "Everybody's Fine" starring Robert DeNiro, Kate Beckinsale and Drew Barrymore. Let me just say first that I love drama, especially those about family. "Meet The Parents", "The Family Stone", and "Click" are just some on-top-of-my-head examples of the family movies I enjoyed tremendously. I mean, I guess it's something that we can really relate to, 'cos everyone has a family, right? It's also always just very heartwarming and makes you feel either really good, or really sad.

You can't go wrong with a cast like this, really. Robert DeNiro, just like Dustin Hoffman, I think, always make great father figures in movies. They are very believable and all the while the movie was playing, I couldn't help thinking of my own dad and how much the character reminded me of him. The movie had some really sad and heartfelt scenes, and at the risk of sounding like a crybaby, I did sob my eyeballs out a few times.

It's about a father with four grown-up children who lives at different parts of the US. He recently lost his wife, so he lives alone now and at one weekend, he's trying to gather all four of his kids to his house for a meal. But they all cancelled at the last minute, so he decided to pay each one a surprise visit despite his health condition. Along the way, he discovered that his children aren't as happy as he thought they are, in terms of marriage or career. Everyone keeps acting as if everything is fine because they don't want to worry or disappoint him. But all he wants is just for his kids to be honest with him, and for them to be able to talk to him like they did with their mother. In the end, something terrible happened that brought them together as a family.

You know, I'm not a story teller for a reason. I'm crappy at explaining things! I can't do it enough justice, so go ahead and see it for yourself. To me, it's really good.

In the evening, I saw "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Wow, I'm really impressed with the quirky and unusual animation, and it's a really funny and entertaining movie. When it showed in the cinema, I wasn't that much interested to see it because, I don't know, I've seen the trailer and it didn't really show me anything interesting, except for the animation. I had no idea what the story was all about. I guess it's the same as "Up", though? You can't tell a single thing from the trailer but the movie turns out to be so brilliant.

I probably shouldn't judge a book by its cover from now on! Speaking of George Clooney, I have yet to see "Up in the Air", and I really, really want to see that! Did you guys see any good movies this weekend? I wanna hear about it.

Alright, it's almost 11 pm now and I'm gonna read "Juliet, Naked" for a bit before going to bed. Another week of work ahead!

If you are still breathing maybe it is not such a bad day after all.

No comments: