Tuesday 14 July 2009

Too much opinion

I really should learn to keep my opinion to myself.

I was out with a friend, and he was just making a remark about the fashion state of today's youth. "I haven't been partying for a while, I'm not sure I'm properly dressed. What do the guys nowadays usually wear anyway?" he asked.

"I think what you're wearing is fine," I replied nonchalantly, just briefly glancing at his normal-looking shirt. It's not like there are any rules when it comes to proper attire for a night out on the town, not much for guys, at least. As long as they don't wear singlets or flipflops, I assumed they're covered.

"What, shirt and skinny jeans? Is that the trend?" he continued, oblivious to my general disinterest in the topic of chinese guys' fashion sense.

Skinny jeans. That's the magic words. Suddenly I was all flared up to speak my mind.

"Seriously?! I really don't understand why guys would wear skinny jeans! I completely detest them! I hate how they look on guys, they are terrible!" I enthusiastically declared. "And, guys shouldn't want their legs to look skinny either! It's so unattractive, unmasculine and just plain unflattering!"

I finally stopped to catch my breath, expecting him to join in the 'say no to skinny jeans' campaign I was previously parading.

Instead, he looked slightly embarrassed and replied, "Hey, I'm wearing skinny jeans."

Son of a biscuit!!!!! I stared at him, finally noticing his jeans for the first time, and mentally kicked myself in the head! Why oh why oh why did I babble on and on and on about skinny jeans! More importantly, how could I not notice his pants to begin with?!

Inside I was deeply embarrassed, but I didn't show it. Instead, I let out a big laugh and said, "Oh yeah, I didn't notice! I personally don't like it, but it's a matter of taste." Okay, so it wasn't the smartest comeback, but hey, I tried.

Quickly I changed the subject and within minutes we've moved on from the topic of tight-skinny-legged-men.

Phew. Crisis averted. For that one time! I really, really should learn to shut up sometimes.

No comments: