Thursday 23 July 2009

The good things (and everything else) that happened to me recently


The amazing cookies and cream milkshake at Cafe Galilee that has become a solace in my day-to-day routine. What's great about it, is that it's there all the time, always satisfying, and requires no effort on your part whatsoever to enjoy it, contrary to other things in life. Now every morning, as I sit in the library writing chinese characters (and attempting not to slaughter it at the same time), this milkshake is what keeps me going. Seems to me that this might be the most altruistic thing in life.

As a result of this, I'm now relatively well-known in the cafe as the 'cookies and cream gal'. This would be a great fact if, I'm given discount every now and then, for instance. But despite my continuous generousity in keeping the sales going, the only recognition I'm getting from these friendly waitresses is a question whether my eyes are real.

I finally caught up with a dear friend of mine whom I haven't seen in weeks, and I enjoyed our dinner tremendously. It involved fried calamari, fish and chips and catch of the day in peri-peri sauce and ridiculous amount of delicious garlic. The garlic itself might have sounded unappetizing, but let me tell you that the garlic is simply magic. It's like the sizzle that makes Robert Pattinson so sexy, if you get what I mean.

I got a free haircut a few days ago. All thanks to this really nice auntie who did my hair and insisted that she would waive my fee because I'm simply too beautiful. No, she didn't really say that. Actually, I've been a regular in the salon (maybe the only one), so perhaps she just wanted to show a token of appreciation. It wasn't an appreciation more than it was a threat, or a bribe to lure me come back and spend a ridiculous amount of money next time. It worked. I was so touched by her generousity that I almost gave her the money anyway, and when I was outside, I felt like a child having just stolen a pen from a store.

I'm making progress on my chinese class and both my teachers flattered me for being a 'fast learner'. I was so smug that I almost blurted, “Tell me something I haven't known.” But after that, I made a fool out of myself by saying 'women' out loud, when it's supposed to be 'wo men'. “This is chinese, not english!” my teacher said in exasperation.

I completed my yoga 10-weeks yoga program and now I'm as flexible as Mr. Fantastic. Maybe.

I've been reading good books and I found this to be very pleasurable. I finished Ryu Murakami's '69' in one and a half day and I'm currently hooked on Curtis Sittenfeld. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel so happy being engrossed in a good read, and although I may not get particularly smarter by reading endless amount of fiction, I think the experience of seeing the world from the perspective of different characters, and understanding them, is very exciting.

Overall, it's been a good week! I'm sorry for not updating and writing more often, but blogger is acting up. Actually, that's not all. I have been waiting for a spectacular experience I can share before writing again, but it's like waiting for a rocket to come. If I wait 'til a spectacular incident happens, you will have been over forty. This blog will have been moul-dy. They will have probably invented flying cars. Okay, I get the picture.

No comments: