Friday 12 September 2008

Cab

Sometimes we need a complete stranger to remind us that the rules haven't changed much at all.

I was in a cab along with two friends after a night out. We were just talking, the air was full of booze and we were slightly giddy. I was dropped off the last, and as soon as I was alone with the taxi driver, he told me not to 'trust men'.

Taken aback, I couldn't help but chuckle, "but uncle, you are a man."

"I know, I know, but it's true..." he said.

Even when a girlfriend of mine has given me the warning eye signal when she left me alone with the boy.

I wonder if he was referring to my friend in the cab earlier, but I didn't ask. Besides, I knew the line and I wasn't going to cross it. I'm so not gonna be involved in domestic affairs.

That's something I have learnt along the way, uncle, to be honest. But not trusting, I still catch myself once in a while, for I have always been too gullible in the past.

And apparently that was too obvious, even to a complete stranger. When he was about to drop me off, he turned around, his face was fatherly and old. "You're really sweet," he said, "please remember my advice. Don't trust men."

See, he needed to warn me twice, yo'all.

No comments: