Saturday 24 January 2009

The New Daddy.

Dad is in town.

I haven't seen my big man for...well, way too long, I suppose. He was here last Christmas, but at that time I was busy being selfish and wasting his money away in the Land of Freedom. Anyway, I was really excited to see him, but nothing could have prepared me for this.

He grew his hair.

No, no, I know it's a natural process, dammit. I mean, he really grew his hair. It's still growing now, as we speak. *trembling* Now, pardon my surprise, whereas the concept of hair growing wasn't all that new to me, I was still shocked because in my 21-just-turned-22 years of life, this has never happened. Like, ever, ever, ever.

If there was one constant thing in my life, it would have been his hair. I've gained comfort in knowing his hair never changed; that he has always looked exactly the same everytime I saw him, let it be a month, three months, or even a year after. I trusted his hair to remain short more than anything.

So I was speechless when he got out of the cab and his now-long hair was blown by the wind. I was still, speechless when he laughed and hugged me, his now-long hair was covering my eyes. Eh, okay, I might have exaggerated a little bit there. But man! I was stunned. His hair resembled Paul McCartney's and the Beatles' kids' back then. (Yes, take this time to imagine..)

"How? Why? When? Where? What?" I stuttered, after regaining my consciousness. I could very well have passed out there for a few seconds.

"Oh, don't you know? It was already long last December when you weren't here..." my sister offered a kind word of consolidation, not at all consoling nor comforting. Still, it didn't answer my question. I looked at my big man, but he just smirked slightly and continued walking to the lift.

The discussion ended there, and it was soon forgotten for a brief moment while we were excitedly opening Indonesian snacks he brought along. Damn, I am so easily distracted. Bugger.

Glad to have you here, Daddy.

No comments: